The idea of Santiniketan Sishutirtha was conceived in the year 1989 by a group of people who wanted to work in restoring the basic rights to children. Sishutirtha took the name from a Bengali expression meaning a place transformed to a pilgrimage owing to the presence of children. Santiniketan Sishutirtha became a registered association (charity) in 1989. Registration No. S/61333 of 1988-89 (Registered Under Act XVI of 1961).
In 1991, Santinketan Sishutirtha acquired 6 acres (approx.24,600 Square meters) of land through a lease from West Bengal Government. In the same year the Foundation stone for the buildings was laid by the renowned social worker of the area Late Pannalal Dasgupta. At last on 12th December 1999 our dream started taking shape. This journey began with five children - one girl and four boys.
Santiniketan Sishutirtha comprises of a Governing Body who are responsible for the functioning of Sishutirtha. The association has an Advisory Committee which includes eminent personalities like the noted film director Mr. Mrinal Sen, Prof. K. G. Subramanyan, the ex Commissioner of Police, Kolkata, Mr. Tushar Talkudar and others.
- To provide a home to orphan and destitute children.
- To provide safe and secure accommodation, food and clothes to these children.
- To provide educational, recreational and socio cultural facilities to the children.
- To provide important craft based vocational training so that these children can learn some skill
and earn a living in the future.
- To nurture all kind of arts and culture.
- To help the children become responsible and sensitive citizens of the country.
- To provide all kind of medical aid as and when required.